Tokyo Olympics from four perspectives: 3. tourist from America


The next perspective is from a tourist from America.
*Please note that all perspectives are imaginations based on true circumstances or events.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm a tourist from America, and I'm planning to visit Japan again in 2020 to watch the Olympic games, and also go sight-seeing around Tokyo. From my first visit, I felt that Japan is a relatively safe country with various types of public transportation, so I'm not so concerned about my next trip, but I do have some things that I'd prefer it changed so that I can have the best experiences. One important suggestion; they should write the public signs in English, and NOT in Japanese in Roman Letters. For example, there is a station called Shinjuku-sanchoume. If you are not a Japanese speaker, you probably won't be able to understand what "sanchoume" means. So, I would like it if all of it is translated, like, "Shinjuku 3rd Street" so that it's easier for us to understand. Also, some marks were hard to understand too, like the hot spring mark for example. If I didn't know in advance, I could look like, hot coffee.

reference:
Japan Times. (2017, April 5). Row about Japan's hot spring symbol ends in compromise. Retrieved June 28, 2017, from http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/05/national/row-about-japans-hot-spring-symbol-ends-in-compromise/#.WVOrDIjyhdg



------------------------------

posted by moe

コメント

  1. I think this is a very interesting opinion and it's actually on point! As you wrote, it's not easy for non-japanese speakers to understand "sanchoume". Even for me, as a Japanese, it takes a bit longer time to read it than to read “3rd street”. "3rd street" is much easier for many people to understand I think! Japan is not a multiracial or multilingual country like America, so public signs tend not to include those from outside of Japan as its readers. In another word, they are not foreigner-friendly signs. This suggestion should get more attention. Before we welcome bunch of visitors, we should assume difficulties that visitors are likely to face during their visit, and deal with it.

    返信削除

コメントを投稿

このブログの人気の投稿

Answers to the 15 questions part3

results of my survey